Monday 30 August 2010

Deptford History

Now I have been to Deptford a couple of times I decided to research the History of Deptford.
Back in the 19th Century Deptford was a large ship building and fishing town known for its dockyard. The docks were the main administrative centre of the British Navy at that point.
However the area declined as first the Royal Navy moved out, and then the commercial docks themselves declined until the last dock, Convoys Wharf, closed in 2000.

As I started to research Deptford's history more and more I discovered these amazing old pictures of Deptford.
These included the bridge on Deptford high street below -

Deptford's historic Dockyard.

As well as old family Pictures from Family's within Deptford.
I especially love this picture, I love the knee high socks, jumper over shirt combo and cute peter pan collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment